The 20th May was World Bee Day, it raises awareness of the importance of bees and our environment. These hardworking creatures have an essential role in keeping our planet healthy. Together with wild pollinators, bees play a major role in maintaining biodiversity, ensuring the survival and reproduction of many plants, supporting forest regeneration, promoting sustainability and adaptation to climate change, improving the quantity and quality of agricultural productions.
Today bees, pollinators and many other insect populations are declining – so it is important to promote actions that will protect their habitats and improve diversity.
Did you know?
- It takes approximately 1,100 bees to make 1kg of honey
- Without bees we wouldn’t have apples, avocados, blueberries, cherries, melons, plums, and peanuts
- Nearly 90% of all plants and crops in Australia rely on pollinators for reproduction
- Bees are the only insect that create a food humans eat
- Honey doesn’t go off; pure honey was found in a 2000 year old Egyptian pyramids, and was still edible
How can I help?
- Plant flowering plants that are rich in nectar, especially native plants like Bottlebrush and Honey myrtle
- Avoid using harmful pesticides in your garden that can poison bees over time
- Create a bee-bath! Leave a shallow dish of water with some sticks or rocks in it, so that bees can land safely and have a drink
- Shop local! You will find great varieties of locally made honey at farmers and local markets. Not only will you discover a richer depth of flavour, local honey can help build immunity and assist with hayfever symptoms
Check out our Beeswax Wraps by Bellarine Bee Wraps
In Honour of World Bee Day we are giving you a bonus Lemon Myrtle Hand sanitiser with every Beeswax Wrap Sold until 31st May 2022.
Beeswax wraps are reusable, sustainable and really colourful! They come in a range of different sizes and can be used to cover anything that cling wrap can. Made from 100% cotton fabric infused with locally sourced beeswax, gum resin and jojoba oil. Naturally antibacterial and antimicrobial, these wraps are great for every kitchen.
Why the Local-Side?
Because we believe passionately in the power of doing small things to achieve big results. By shopping locally you are not only helping build the local economy, you are shopping more sustainably, reducing waste and making a small business creator really happy. The Local-Side: the power of community.
The Local Side Team